10 Hot Readers and Their Blogs: Part 1
Get In the Hot Spot blog has been through many incarnations, starting with a single blog post in 2007 that declared I was going to:
“Stare fear in the face and over-come my fear of being read.”
It took years for me to overcome that fear; it wasn’t until three years later in 2010 that I started blogging more regularly, first at Blogspot, then at WordPress.com, before finally buying my own domain name then creating a hot logo and design later that year.
Get In the Hot Spot has always been a travel, lifestyle and personal development blog that started with the slogan Life Your Dream. I’ve changed the slogan a few times over the years, settling with Advanced Adventures for Body and Soul now, but the concept has always been the same; to help people aged 40+ be more adventurous, have more fun and feel fabulous.
There’s no doubt I wouldn’t be blogging here today if it wasn’t for you amazing readers and subscribers. You’re a beautifully diverse, global and dynamic group who’ve taught me a thing or two about adventure, fun and feeling good over the years.
I appreciate every single reader and subscriber and many of you have become valued friends because of the relationship we’ve built here and the comments you’ve shared.
To begin with I was scared what people would think of me after reading what I wrote on this blog but now I know how precious it is to have readers, and especially to hear from those readers in the comments. Getting blog comments has been the single most important thing that’s helped my writing improve, my confidence grow and, through that, created positive life and career changes.
So I wanted to take time to acknowledge all you readers and in particular those who’ve been with me for many years, who’ve left comments when I needed them most and who’ve supported me with kind emails, retweets, Facebook shares and so much more.
Many Get In the Hot Spot readers are also bloggers too with fantastic blogs of your own but others aren’t. Either way I’ll be listing a few readers over the coming weeks in the hope that you may find more readers for your own blogs, make stronger connections with each other and enjoy the warm glow of my appreciation over the Internet. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
1. Seana – Seana is another travel-mad mum who’s hell bent on staying adventurous even though she has four kids to look after and a husband who works overseas. Seana has an amazingly youthful, vibrant energy and outlook which pops out of the screen at you from her blog at Seana Smith.
That’s Seana in the photo above and you’d never guess she just turned 50. I love that she’s proud of that (I never understand why people want to hide their age) and is celebrating her advanced years in style this year. Extra special thanks to Seana for kindly letting me use her gorgeous photo here and of course for hiring me to design her blog.
2. Cate – Cate doesn’t have a blog so I know her only through her comments which have been stuffed with words of wisdom, encouragement and great personal stories. Cate’s well traveled, smart, and a wise woman. I think all Get In the Hot Spot readers have that in common.
3. Frenchie – Like me Frenchie has a techie husband, kids and a lifelong passion for travel. Like me she’s always plotting and scheming to fit in another trip and planning it carefully when she does. You can follow her adventures over at the Travelling Frenchies.
4. QwkDrw – Possibly one of the first commenters on my blog the mysterious QwkDrw has stuck around, gone quiet a few times and then chimed in again with comments just when I least expected it. He blogs at Give me a Moment which he writers for boomers, former preppies, gray singletons, empty-nesters, and others still living.
I love his sense of humor and the reminder that, although I mainly write for women, men read Get In the Hot Spot too.
5. Johanna – Johanna’s kids have all grown up and moved out now, so she’s got more time for writing and having fun than ever before. She’s got heaps of great travel tips for the Western Australia area over on Zigazag and a new lifestyle blog for hot chicks aged 50+ over at and Lifestyle Fifty. It makes me look forward to turning 50.
6. Sandra – Sandra is a very special and wise woman. I want to be just like her when I grow up and I wouldn’t mind living in Hawaii where she lives too. Sandra shares simple wisdom for a happy life at Always Well Within and when I read her stuff I always feel better, calmer and more inspired to be the best me I can be.
7. Se7en – An incredible woman who homeschools eight (yes eight!) children from her home in South Africa. She’s always got a crafty activity on the go, a travel adventure big or small to share or an inspiring story about her charity work to help get more books in South African schools. She’s definitely in the running for best mum ever. You can check out her blog at Se7en.
8. Marcy – Marcy’s blog tracks her progress to find out what happens when a timid, squeamish woman (her words, not mine!) decides to change. To that end Marcy set herself a major quest of doing 101 things in 1001 days. She’s getting there too and you can track her progress at Too Timid and Squeamish.
9. Linda – Linda has been commenting on Get In the Hot Spot for years and I on hers. She even came to visit me this year which was amazing. As well as having a passion for travel, Linda’s a gifted artist (yes I’m jealous) who creates and sells gorgeous maps which are for sale in cool shops all around Australia and from her blog Journey Jottings. Linda writes a great blog post too.
10. Barbara – I cannot remember how Barbara and I found each other but we’ve been circling each other on the Internet ever since. Barbara shares her incredible personal stories and memoir excerpts at Zero to Sixy and Beyond. She’s written a few books, sells some great art and continually inspires me with her can do attitude, boldness and energy.
You, all the readers listed above and every single Get In the Hot Spot unite to make an incredible group of people. You inspire me to write, live and love more and better every day and for that I am truly grateful.
I can’t see any end to this blogging journey and hope I’ll be at it for many more years to come with you by my side.
Stay tuned for part 2 and 3 in the Hot Readers and Their Blogs over the coming weeks. You never know, it could be you.
Want Unique Content You Can’t Find on the Blog?
I just started an email series for subscribers only called How to Embrace Change at Any Age. It’s only being sent to email newsletter subscribers so sign up here now (it’s free) if you’d like to read it.
Thank you so much for listing me on your Hot Readers and their blogs list – am touched! More bloggers for me to discover yeah.. no wonder I can’t find the time to actual blog.
Love how you encourage the blogging community and welcoming of newbies to the ‘blogging clan’
Will have to look you up next time am in Queensland:)
Techie & Travel are a good mix me thinks….:)
I’d love that, it would be great to meet you. They are :)
Well you just blew me out of the water – so to speak!!! Grabbing a morning coffee and catching up my reading, kids bouncing everywhere waiting for breakfast… and hay, Thats us!!! THANK YOU so much for the shout out – how lovely!!! I just love your work and your writing, it has been such a privilege to read away and follow your journey through life… you are an inspiration!!!
Right back atcha Se7en :)
Thank you so much! I have been so inspired by your blog. I am excited to check out the other blogs you’ve highlighted.
Hi Marcy, you will be meeting some great people.
There’s no question that you’ve accomplished your original goal, Annabel. And in many more ways than being read! It’s been an incredible adventure walking along your side through all your memories, challenges, trips, exercises, and so much more.
I smiled all the way through reading this. And, I’m so honored you mentioned me! Thank you so much. I feel like we’re twinsies taming our mind, vanquishing stress, and living with greater joy and ease. So happy to be on the journey with you.
Oh I love that twinsies thing! Lol we are. Likewise :)
What a great surprise, Annabel! Thank You!
You were an inspiration for me when I began four years ago. Then you commented on my blog and I was over the moon! Since then, not only have we become friends and blog buddies, I think about so many bloggers I’ve connected with after meeting right here in the comments. Sonia Marsh, Jennifer Gresham, Farnoosh Brock, just to name a few. We’ve all stuck it out and grown our online business, and a lot of the credit belongs right here with you.
Kudos my friend, and a million thanks for the shout out!
That’s a gorgeous thing to say and look how we’ve grown. I got to meet Jen and Farnoosh, now I have to make it a mission to meet you and Sonia one day too :)
I would love to meet you, because I know we would have a great time! Sonia and I have been trying to get together, but skype is as close as we’ve gotten so far. She may be moving to the East coast, so we may be able to get together soon. You should join us!!
What fun – learning more about fellow readers, with whom we all have ‘you’ in common!
And also highlighting how while one’s blog evolves with time, the essence or heart of the person behind it remains the same – and it’s that, which we keep coming back for more :)
Thank you so much for featuring me in your list Annabel, and how wonderful it’s been to get to know you over those four years, via our blogs and in person! I can remember someone saying to me at the 2011 Problogger Conference, “That’s Annabel Candy -she’s a real hot shot!” And I hardly dared to introduce myself! I’d been reading your words of wisdom at Blogging Mentor, and decided I had to say “Hello” even if you looked at me like I was a pipsqueak oldie! Anyway from there it’s history. I admire your work greatly, and the way your blogs and business evolve. Thank you again :)
I only know Johanna from your list, Annabel. Not only does she write ‘hot’ blogs with her amazingly interesting Zigazag and Lifestyle Fifty blogs, she also conducts blog workshops. With patience and perseverance she has taught a whole lot of us technological dodos about blogging.
She lives the life dream too.
Hello darling, thank you so much for mentioning me here with these ever so kind words… and for introducing me to some other bloggy readers – great!
And now I am home from my wanderings over summer, and you’ve just popped off again… quite right Annabel, to seize the day, the night and the opportunity to waft and wander.
Shocked amazement here… to be on this list with, well, great bloggers recognized by (the) Annabel Candy.
I remember that early nonsense of yours about fear of being read. Yeah, so you just go become this great blogger with years of longevity that lots and lots of people read. No more fear of being read, apparently. I also remember that early in my blog (also started in 2007) you had some advice for me about my moniker: consider changing it to QwkDrwr. Guessing you felt QwkDrw was too aggressive; like a gunslinger.
Okay then, you do have a much bigger blog…
Still, not changing the moniker